Friday, January 24, 2014

LEARN to love it

It's not about the taste, it's about the fuel...if only we could connect to this fundamental principle we would be able to perform at such higher more meaningful, more fulfilling, more productive, more fruitful, and more positive ways.

It's not about the taste, it's about the fuel...when reading this statement the obvious reference would be to food, which is correct...because IT ALL STARTS WITH FOOD! Baseball, life, positive thinking...all of it starts with food!!! It took me about 27 years to finally and ACTUALLY connect with this fundamental of life! 

It's not about the taste, it's about the fuel...This statement also refers to anything that is not comfortable when we are experiencing it, be it eating broccoli or going through a rigorous workout. The day we can learn to fall in love with the pain that is caused by the things that are good for us, ie;  the discomfort of eating broccoli (assuming you "hate" broccoli), is the day we break through and separate ourselves from the pack. 

The day that you can get over yourself and just put the broccoli in your mouth, start chewing, and just try to dive into the question of "what is good about this?!" is the day you may just eventually find something that you like about the broccoli! This is something that I have put into practice over the duration of my baseball career and it has thankfully poured into all other aspects of my life.

It is scary that we are so manipulated by mass media marketing, fast food, and quick fixes to things in our lives...this is simply not the human process. We are taught to be mesmerized by the taste of fake fast foods and many other unhealthy habits that we create that are often derived from simple laziness. We have to learn to love the pain...we have to learn to find the good in the things that we don't like but we know are good for us. 

Why get so deep into a topic like this when my focus is on teaching young players how to Get Better EVEryday? The answer is easy. You can't start getting better EVEryday until you start thinking better EVEryday. Why do I capitalize the EVE in EVEryday? Because it helps me to think better...stronger, faster, more ruthless, more connected, more passionate, more aware, more thankful, more in-tune....with all of the actions I take on a day to day basis. It helps me to connect with the greater purpose of why I decided to play this game for as long as I have and why now I have decided to go into coaching young players now that playing the game may possibly be behind me. It has helped me to stay positive amongst a maraud of obstacles in my path. 

Staying connected to knowing that I get to do all of this for my mom, the lady that always did everything in her power to help me go as far as I could with the game that I love...it has MADE me who I am as a player and it is what motivated me to play professional baseball for 7 years when they told me out of the gate that I absolutely should not be playing with a total hip replacement. I have learned to love it when people say I can't do something or that I won't make it. I have found the positive in those statements and I will continue to find them as I get stronger with EVEryday. 

At MADE Baseball we strive to help our players connect with these principles. It is far beyond the amount of practices you show up to, the amount of reps you take, or the kind of bat you own...it is about what you are willing to lay out on the line to achieve your goals and to stay true to your dreams and the path you set out to walk. 

When you can learn to love all of the things that are hard about accomplishing your baseball goals, you will start to Live Like a Champion.

Subscribe to our blog if you would like to receive posts to your inbox!

Isaac Hess
Founder & President

No comments:

Post a Comment